The Media department is considered one of the first departments of Al- Farahidi University, Media College now. It is one of fourteen departments in this University that offers scientific and practical programs. It has been one of the colleges approved by the Ministry of Higher education and scientific research.
That is why our graduates receive bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism and television, journalism, and public relations. We have one of the most distinguished professors with professional experience who are able to keep up with the scientific spirit of the age of technical progress in all fields. The Media Collage topped all the Iraqi Universities -Public and Private- in scientific content exam for the years, 2017, 2018, and 2019 receiving a clear 100%.
The Media collage was founded based on the needs and requirements of the local and Arabic media market competencies trained that can keep up with the ever evolving technical, scientific, and artistic fields of communication. We seek to see the evolution of visual mentality of the college in accordance with the certainty, rather than dreams of the vision and that was necessary to allow our students to be able to integrate in the real world flawlessly.
The overall design and implementation of training programs is based on a deliberate and inspired scientific basis of the reality and the need to teach the foundations of media work, which seeks its way to complete the lack of information to address the problems of the media, in order to help future leaders to meet the challenges they face.
We also organize specialized workshops and establish forums for the exchange of opinion and ideas with the rest of the faculties and departments of media nationally and internationally.
I invite you to learn about the department up close and look at all the information through this guide.
Assist. Prof. Dr. Muayed Kasim Jerjis
Dean of College
The College’s vision stems from its belief that it is one of the most important sources that provide media institutions with graduates capable of practicing media work professionally, objectively and morally. Hence, the comprehensive vision should be effective in the graduation of students with scientific and professional competence, enabling them to keep abreast of rapid media developments.
The College aims at graduating qualified media professionals in order to meet the needs of the public and private sectors, and excellence at the local and regional levels in the media field, relying on the principles of professional media work.
The College seeks to provide an educational and training environment capable of increasing the talents of students and preparing them for the requirements of the local and Arab markets in line with the spirit of the times and rapid technological developments.
The college aims to prepare graduates with a high degree of competence in the field of media and other fields, and to qualify them scientifically, technologically and professionally. It also provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to practice the media work, based on the human heritage and Arab culture, to meet the needs of the labor market and the requirements of competition locally, regionally and internationally.
The College was established with the Department of Media at Al-Farahidi University College in 2013, under the order of Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research No. 2678 on 26/5 -2013. The courses are taught according to high-level plans prepared by distinguished universities in Iraq and the world. It balances between the practical and the theoretical aspects, and focuses on materials related to media theories and the arts of media. The College currently has (530) students. The number of faculty staff members are thirteen of different scientific ranks and disciplines.
The College aims to prepare a professional media personality who can communicate with the community and develop it by means of personal communication or through various media, starting with forming a community awareness and ending citizens’ quest to participate in development plans to build a modern society.
After getting a bachelor’s degree, the College hopes to be aware of the ethics of journalism and its seriousness in influencing public opinion. The College also seeks to achieve the following goals:
- Upgrading the scientific level.
- Developing the faculty members.
- Pursuing graduate studies.
- Providing a scientific atmosphere that is equal and fair to all college students.
- Enabling students to acquire the necessary expertise to practice media work.
- Training students through communication and information technologies.
- Helping students get jobs in the job market of media.
- Developing courses in communication.
- Developing practical training systems for students.
- Supporting student’s activities.
- Developing students’ personal skills.
- Achieving justice among college students in the educational process.
- Conducting an annual festival for the college in which the students participate in presentation.
- Developing the radio and television studio according to the highest standards and technologies.
Students are trained in all radio and television arts through the training studio that was established for this purpose.
Students are also trained in the production of journalistic forms, both in writing and directing, as practical training on work systems within press institutions, and the student is evaluated on the basis of his production and not on the basis of the written examination only, and under the supervision of practical training professors.
The college maintains close relations with most of the official and private media institutions in Iraq, with the aim of deepening the scientific field, providing practical training opportunities for students, and strengthening the service of the Iraqi community in general.
The college is linked to many cultural agreements with Arab universities and international organizations, and UNESCO and the International Development Program are among the international organizations that support the activities of the college and specialized workshops, and modernize devices and laboratories.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization، (UNESCO).
- Monte Carlo Doualiya، (MCD).
- BBC Arabic News Channel Network.
- Iraqi Media Network (IMN).
The students of the fourth stage (the final stage) are assigned to prepare a practical project, depending on what they have been trained in in the past years.
The student presents a clear plan (Script) for the graduation project, which includes the general idea of the topic, and the foundations and steps of production.
The student is discussed by the academic committee in the college, and after obtaining approval, he is asked to prepare a scenario that includes the details of the work to be submitted to the supervising professor, who in turn facilitates the students ’task, especially in projects that require approval for their completion.
Graduation projects consist of (producing a television program – for radio and television journalism students, issuing a newspaper – for journalism students, and producing a series of television advertisements – for public relations students
- 1. Launching a website and social networking pages for the university and the College of Media, for the benefit of university students in general and college students in particular, to familiarize students with everything that interests them, and to see news, directions and interaction.
- 2. Organizing an annual festival for student creativity in the field of media.
Plans for the Future:
- 1. Issuing a newspaper for the college that students edit, produce and distribute.
- 2. Issuing a college magazine that is part of the training program for students.
- 3. Launching a university-specific radio station, administered by college students, in writing, presentation and direction.
- 4. Concluding cooperation agreements in the field of training with local and international media organizations.
Dr. Mouayed Kasim JarjesDean