The Final Report for the
First International Conference on Sustainable Engineering and Technology
About the conference:
Under the patronage of his excellency the Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Prof. Dr. Nabeel Khadim Abid Al-Sahib, and under the slogan:
“Sober Scientific Research; the Portal for Sustainable Development”
The (First International Conference on Sustainable Engineering and Technology) was held jointly between Al-Farahidi University and the University of Technology on December 15-16, 2020, as a solid scientific conference in the disciplines involved in community service.
The first meeting session was held between a committee from Al-Farahidi University and the University of Technology, chaired by the Vice President of Al-Farahidi University for Scientific Affairs, Prof. Dr. Muhsin Jaber Jweeg, on May 12, 2020. During the meeting, everything related to the conference was discussed, including determining the title of the conference, designing the brochure and building the website for the conference, to announce and circulate to universities and the mechanism for receiving, reviewing and evaluating research, as well as setting the date of the conference during the period (15-16 December 2020) jointly between Al-Farahidi University and the University of Technology.
The meeting also resulted in the formation of an Organizing Committee for the conference consisting of (13) members, as well as a Scientific Committee consisting of (48) members, in addition to a committee to write the final report of the conference consisting of (9) members.
The conference was announced in June 2020, and the directive of his excellency the Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Prof. Dr. Nabeel Khadim Abid Al-Sahib, in activating the scientific research movement to raise the balance of Iraqi universities and their entry into the approved international classifications, had a great impact on the success of the conference activities.
Honorable researchers from various local and international universities from Britain, Australia, Turkey and Iran, as well as researchers from various state institutions and ministries, submitted their research to the conference, where nearly (280) research papers were received to the conference themes. (199) papers were accepted, of which are distributed as follows:
- Architecture and Civil Engineering (32 Research).
- Electrical, Electronic, Communications and Computer Engineering (18 Research).
- Applied Mechanical Engineering (38 Research).
- Thermal Engineering (41 Research).
- Nanotechnology and Smart Materials (42 Research).
- Biomechanical Engineering and Prosthetics (13 Research).
- Control, Robotics and Mechatronics (15 Research).
Sober scientific procedures were followed in evaluating research, as each research was sent to three assessors of academics and experts known for their prestigious scientific status in scientific and research institutions inside and outside Iraq from Britain, America, Australia and Iran.
The research was divided into (27) sessions (except for the opening and closing sessions), and due to the global epidemiological situation of the Corona pandemic, it was decided that the conference sessions would be online (25 online sessions through Google Meet). There were parallel sessions, and the decision was made that there will be only two sessions in attendance. Based on the desire of the researchers (the first session was held at Al-Farahidi University and the second session was held at the University of Technology), and during these two sessions, the conditions for social distancing between attendees, and the means of protection from masks and sterilizers, were taken into account.
At the beginning of the opening session, a lecture was given by the Deputy Minister of Planning for Technical Affairs, Dr. Maher Hammad Johan, and the topic of the lecture was (Sustainable Development Promises to Verify). There were also lectures at the beginning of each online session for lecturers from British universities and companies, including:
- Zhiwei Gao from the University of Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- Hayder Y. Ahmad from Safran Aircraft Manufacturing, United Kingdom.
- Zahur Ullah from Queen’s University in Balfast, United Kingdom.
- John Yates from the University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
The international advisory board, which included (9) experts in various engineering disciplines, was also consulted. The papers accepted in the conference included a number of papers received from Universities from different countries, where the number of researches from outside Iraq was (14).
In conclusion, the recommendations of the closing session of the conference were:
- Continuing to hold the conference as (international) in the coming years, by moving towards other solid international institutions and destinations to adopt and support the conference and publish its research, such as the IEEE Institution or Publishing Corporation that are affiliated with solid global containers.
- Increasing the activities of the conference by holding workshops, international seminars, scientific exhibitions of posters, equipment, and others, during the period of the conference.
- Inviting professors and researchers from outside Iraq, especially the Iraqi expatriates, to participate in the conference activities.
- Inviting the Iraqi students, who study outside Iraq to participate widely in the conference to give it a great international character.
- Activating joint research between Iraqi professors, professors and researchers from international and solid universities and research centers by participating in the conference activities.
- Inviting professors and researchers from international universities and research centers to participate in the upcoming editions of the conference.
- The use of experts from outside Iraq from international universities and research centers to evaluate the researches which submitted to the conference.
- Twinning the conference with solid international universities and research centers by organizing and holding the conference in cooperation and partnership between these parties.
- Classify the researches and the participations by a committee of the conference according to specific controls, giving greater weight to joint research with researchers from outside Iraq, and honoring distinguished research and contributions according to specializations, in order to raise the spirit of competition among the participants.
- Adoption of the applied researches in the conference and activating them through opening multiple channels for networking and cooperation with the parties benefiting from this research, such as the ministries of the state and its various institutions and the private sector.
- Establishing specialized research groups from the conference participants that continue to work jointly with the support and sponsorship of the conference organizers.
- Expanding the conference to include all disciplines related to engineering disciplines, such as medical, agricultural and scientific disciplines.
- Moving towards adopting the various State Ministries, Institutions and Departments to adopt the activities of the Conference.
- Increase Financial Support for the Conference.
- A Patent Exhibition.
- A Book Fair.
- An Exhibition of Equipment.
- Media Marketing for Conference Activities.
* * *